Thursday, April 19, 2007

A Medal or A Coin?

A MEDAL? FOR WHAT?





Year 2004, I was back in Laos again to visit my sister who was teaching English in Vientiane and to see friends (I lived there for I think 6 years, between 1997-2004) As usual when I visit a city I go looking for a coin anywhere in between my catching up with friends and site seeing. When I lived in Laos I have never bought a single coin, I found one on the street. Anyway, this time was different. I didn't really know where to buy them but as Laos try to attract more tourist to come they have managed to fix a few landmarks including the famous and one of the country's symbol "Patuxai" or Victory Monument, built in 1969, resembling Arc de Triumph in Paris) on Lane Xang Avenue in the Capital of Vientiane. This time the inside doesn't have this musty punget smell anymore instead they have stalls of souvenirs etc. I was excited of course, I paid like 2 bucks or more to get in and up there. That's where I found my next "medal" here, this souvenir. I am not quite sure what this is. I am sure it's Thai and it's King Chulalongkorn The Great of Thailand or Rama V (1868-1910) but other than that I have no idea. Information is welcome, specially the date.

Note: Searching an hour later after I posted this one I found out (not confirmed) that this is a 1908 1 Baht, KM-Y39, and a website is selling this for $75.oo The real one are apparently very rare. There are very good counterfeits / counterfeits produced around however selling for $15. I have no idea if mine is authentic or not, unlike the counterfeit one and the one selling for $75, mine doesn't have a crown on the 3-headed Elephant




3 comments:

  1. yours is a fake!
    the real mccoy is very rare and expensive

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll have to find an image of a real one next time.

    ReplyDelete