Tuesday, June 30, 2009

"Loonie"



It has been almost a year since I last posted in this blog. I have been really very very busy but I have not stopped acquiring coins.

My recent trip to Philippines and Canada has added a few more. The image above is a Canadian 1 dollar coin, commonly refer to locally as the "loonie". Perhaps because of the image of a common loon on the reverse side of the coin. The coin above instead of the common loon they have the British Parliament in London, I think. This might be commemorating the commonwealth, I don't know.

6 comments:

  1. It is the British Parliament in London. Bronze Plated Nickel coin. UNC, it worth 2$ CAN.

    1867 = Confederation | Canada

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHAT!?!? On the front is the Canadian Parliment buildings, not the British Parliament. And the buildings are in Ottowa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The structure on the face of the Loonie is the Canadian House of Parliment. NOT the British and it is in Ottawa, Ontario. The "Loonie" got it's name from the reverse image of a common Loon(not perhaps). Although it is correct that it is composed of Bronze plated Nickel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have two open questions to anyone who may know. 1. I have a 1972 Canadian penny that was mis-struct in Nickel alloy instead of copper. Any clue on value? 2. I have a stack in original paper bank band/wrap of 100 one rubble (Soviet) bills. That is quantity 100 one rubble denomination (Soviet) date 1990. Any clue on the value of those. The stack has never been removed from the banks paper band. Any help I would be grateful for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. view another coin collection:
    http://kulraj-the-numismatist.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete