Sunday, August 19, 2007

I got some - Panama coins!


I got some Panama coins - sort of!

These are the coins that I got from Panama. My husband couldn't easily find some in circulation (he found two from loose change) so when he got to the airport he bought me this souvenir instead. Not really the ideal one for a coin collector but I am glad that he made an effort. These coins are laminated into a plastic backing, a piece of paper with some obvious information was taped on the back of the whole thing. I don't know if I can ever rescue the coins off it. I have successfully broke the thick plastic backing and peeled off most of the laminate but the dried up laminate mixture on the coin itself is staying. At least I can put them in my coin display pockets now. It frustrates me when this happens, an ignorance to what a coin collector would prefer. This is about 10 bucks.

3 comments:

  1. The 1/2 Balboa looks nice.

    You can try pure acetone, NOT nail polish remover. This stuff is strong, odorous but safe on coins.
    A short rinse or bath in this stuff will remove just about anything without affecting the coin.

    I've never tried it but most coin collectors say it is great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks man! I'll try and do that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the 1/2 Balboa was minted on 2001 so it's kind of new, it even look like it is in mint condition, petty about the laminate.

    ReplyDelete