Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Panama Coins and Banknotes



The other day I asked my husband to pick up some "Balboas" for me. Today I tried to look through the internet and some books on Panama currency. I realized that they don't have any banknotes. They've stopped the circulation, I think, back in 1940s. There are some coins and it is being used along side US coins which is also a legal tender. So I am hoping I'd still get few coins when he gets back. The image above is scanned from one of my coin books.

2 comments:

  1. From what I understand it has to do with the Panama Canal since that was under US control they based their economy on the US dollar.

    I forgot to add that when I answered your question on my blog is that the 2004 balboas are dated 1999. Why I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those coins were minted by Royal Canadian mint in 1999, the 10 and 100 balboas came out and received bad rewiews so the Panama President hold them until 2004 to release in her last term as President

    ReplyDelete